While I was trawling through the World of Wanderlust website (a travel website founded by Brooke Saward), I came across the recipes section of the site, which included recipes inspired by her travels. The recipe that the one I'm going to share with you was inspired by was under the title of "A Single Girl's cake for Valentine's Day" because the recipe yielded enough to make just one cupcake (plus a very small amount left over). While this recipe didn't need milk to be added to it for cooking, it still contained one egg yolk. Back in October, I made some Oreo cupcakes for a film-watching afternoon with my friends (featuring Rent and playing a Hobbit card game), which used mashed up banana as an alternative to eggs. Surprisingly, my family still thought it tasted nice even though it contained no eggs and was completely vegan, so I knew that a banana could be used again in this recipe. I've also skipped the espresso that was in the original recipe on the World of Wanderlust website!
Ingredients3 tablespoons plain flour
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
dash of vanilla essence
1 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil)
half a large banana, mashed
- Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar in a mixing bowl until well-combined.
- Add the mashed banana, oil and vanilla essence, and continue to stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mix into a well-greased coffee cup.
- Cook in a microwave on medium high for 90 seconds, until the cake has risen and cooked through, but avoid overcooking.
- If you wish, serve with vanilla ice cream, strawberries, caramel or a dusting of icing sugar!