Friday 5 February 2016

Pistachio Ice Cream


Earlier this week, Ben & Jerry's announced and released their brand new and much-anticipated almond milk-based, dairy-free, vegan range of 4 ice creams, which include vegan-friendly versions of Chunky Monkey, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Coffee Caramel Fudge, and P.B. & Cookies.  As far as I can tell, they're not available in the UK yet, but it's nice to know that if/when the day comes that I "go vegan", I'll still be able to have Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

I know there are other less well-known vegan-friendly ice cream ranges, but I don't know where I can find them here so my easiest option is to make my own banana-based "nice cream".  I found this recipe for pistachio ice cream in the Make More Of It section on inventive ways to use leftover ingredients (in this case, avocado) in the January 2016 edition of the Tesco Food Family Living magazine.

Ingredients

4 bananas, cut into slices
2 avocadoes, chopped
50-75g pistachio nuts, chopped

Instructions

  1. Place the banana slices into a Ziplock bag and freeze for a few hours or overnight.
  2. Once frozen, process the frozen banana slices and chunks of avocado in a blender or food processor until thick and smooth.
  3. Fold the chopped pistachio nuts through the ice cream mixture, and then scoop into bowls to serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment