As promised in the first of my Christmas posts on Wednesday, I have a Christmas-related recipe for you today (Friday). I think one of my aims over the next few weeks is to provide a few recipes for a vegan Christmas dinner. Now, I know that a lot of people aren't keen on Brussels sprouts, which is personally not something I particularly understand. Why is there mass hate against Brussels sprouts? I don't love them, but I don't hate them. I think they're a Christmas dinner staple, especially when you're trying to have a vegan-friendly Christmas dinner (I wish I was), and this recipe from the December 2015 edition of the Tesco Food Family Living magazine adds toasted pine nuts to give you a bit more Christmas spirit because I have eaten Brussels sprouts at times other than Christmas before.
Ingredients (serves 8)600g (1 lb) Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons pine nuts
40g (1 1/2 oz) vegan margarine (such as Pure)
1 lemon, zested
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the sprouts, bring back to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain then plunge the sprouts into cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large frying pan until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in the frying pan, add the sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Toss with the pine nuts and lemon zest before serving.