Friday 4 December 2015

Katie's Christmas 2015 - Pan-Fried Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts


As promised in the first of my Christmas posts on Wednesday, I have a Christmas-related recipe for you today (Friday).  I think one of my aims over the next few weeks is to provide a few recipes for a vegan Christmas dinner.  Now, I know that a lot of people aren't keen on Brussels sprouts, which is personally not something I particularly understand.  Why is there mass hate against Brussels sprouts?  I don't love them, but I don't hate them.  I think they're a Christmas dinner staple, especially when you're trying to have a vegan-friendly Christmas dinner (I wish I was), and this recipe from the December 2015 edition of the Tesco Food Family Living magazine adds toasted pine nuts to give you a bit more Christmas spirit because I have eaten Brussels sprouts at times other than Christmas before.

Ingredients (serves 8)

600g (1 lb) Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons pine nuts
40g (1 1/2 oz) vegan margarine (such as Pure)
1 lemon, zested

Instructions

  1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.  Add the sprouts, bring back to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
  2. Drain then plunge the sprouts into cold water to halt the cooking process.
  3. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large frying pan until golden.  Remove and set aside.
  4. Melt the margarine in the frying pan, add the sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
  5. Toss with the pine nuts and lemon zest before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment