Sunday 13 December 2015

Katie's Christmas 2015 - Potato Gratin


I may be a couple of days late with this post, but it's because I've just finished uni until after Christmas.  This time last week, I was in the middle of trying to finish my Engaging the Audience project by only taking a few well-timed naps of between 20 minutes and 2 hours in length.  I must point out that I wouldn't recommend having as little sleep as I did in 2.5 days (possibly less than 8 hours).  Anyway, after my other deadlines, I spent Tuesday and Thursday night at the first BUSOM rehearsals for Back to the 80s after auditions, Wednesday night at our Christmas party where we ate at Brewhaus before seeing two of our members in a pantomime of Aladdin at Kala Sangam, Friday at the uni Christmas fayre and a friend's house (covered in my first This Is Not A Book post), and Saturday night at the Gledholt Male Voice Choir's Christmas concert with the Lindley Band.  So after a busy few weeks, I'm looking forward to relaxing with some Christmas videos, crafts and foods for a few days, before doing some holiday work and writing a couple of reflective essays due in January. 

Potatoes are probably my favourite vegetables, especially jacket potatoes or roasted potatoes with herbs.  It's something about the crispy outside and soft middle that I really like.  Mum's recently started making roasted potato with herbs slices as parts of meals, and I always seem to miss going for extra slices after I've finished the rest of my food.  I found this recipe on Superfood Siobhan's website.  It's fairly easy, healthy and vegan-friendly, so if you're wanting a vegan Christmas dinner or just like potatoes like I do, you can add this deliciousness to it!

Ingredients (serves 4 people)

500g white potatoes
75ml / 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon water
2 large cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons mixed herbs
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.  Wash and peel your potatoes, and cut them into slices of about 1/2 a cm thick.
  2. Arrange the slices on the bottom of the tray, stacking the slices in flat and even layers across the tray.
  3. Place the garlic, olive oil, water, herbs, salt/pepper, mustard and nutritional yeast (optional) in a blender or food processor and blend until it makes a smooth paste.  Pour this over the potato slices, spreading evenly.
  4. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the centre of the potatoes are soft when a knife is inserted.  Serve with other vegetables or anything else!


No comments:

Post a Comment