Last Thursday, for the Wellbeing Week Festival at uni, a couple of people from Jamie's Ministry of Food came to do some cooking demonstrations and tasting. Unfortunately, I was busy doing my show at RamAir while they were doing the demonstration, but I picked up a Get Food Smart recipe booklet from their table in Student Central during a song break. This top-ranking recipe is for a sandwich full of colourful vegetables and is perfect for lunch any time of the year and especially with friends. Next week, I'll be starting with ideas for Christmas dining and will also be giving a few top 5s, so look out for those!
Ingredients (serves 4)4 radishes, halved
5cm piece of cucumber, halved lengthways
1/2 small carrot, halved lengthways
2 cauliflower florets
1/2 small red pepper
1/2 small apple
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 sprigs of soft herbs, such as dill, flat-leaf parsley or basil, or 2 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves picked
1/2 punnet salad cress or sprouting herbs
a handful of peas
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
4 seeded wholegrain rolls
2 tablespoons hummus
- Using a table knife, cut each radish half into three pieces on a chopping board and place them in a large bowl.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out the watery seeds from the cucumber, and discard them, then slice each cucumber half into four pieces and add to the bowl.
- Cut the carrot into 8 even-sized pieces, then snap apart the cauliflower florets into bite-sized chunks and place both veggies into the bowl with the others.
- Pull out the pepper's stalk and scoop out the seeds and pith with a teaspoon, discarding all. Cut the pepper into four long slices, then cut each slice into four segments and add to the bowl.
- Place the apple half, flat-side down, on the board. Cut into six even pieces, discarding the core. Add to the bowl.
- Place a clean tea towel on the chopping board and pile the veg and apple in the middle. Fold over each corner of the towel so your ingredients are wrapped up like a parcel. Squash with a rolling pin to break the ingredients into little pieces.
- Measure the vinegar and olive oil into a large bowl and blend into a dressing.
- Tear the herb leaves into small pieces (if using dill, snip it with scissors), adding them to the bowl as you go. Snip the cress or sprouting herbs into the bowl, then add the peas, seeds, squashed veg and apple. Using your fingers, carefully toss all the ingredients with the dressing until they're nicely coated.
- Halve each roll horizontally and spread the insides of each one with hummus. Divide the vegetable mixture between the base of each roll. Place the lids on top, press down lightly, and enjoy!