This recipe for spiced pumpkin cake is one I found on the recipe card I collected at the UBU Green Thursdays pumpkin-carving event from last week! I've adapted the original recipe a little bit to have dairy-free margarine and mashed bananas instead of the 2 eggs, just to see if it's ok.
Ingredients (makes one 23x33cm cake)110g vegan margarine (such as Pure)
220g dark brown soft sugar
135g bread flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
175g pumpkin puree
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
Vegan cream cheese frosting (2 cups)
1 cup icing sugar
108g vegan margarine, cold
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (such as almond or hazelnut milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Use a bit of margarine to grease the inside of one 23x33cm or similar sized baking dish. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, combine the margarine, dark brown soft sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, pumpkin puree and bananas. Mix until smooth.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Frost with the cream cheese frosting recipe shown below once cooled, if desired.
- For the frosting, process all the ingredients together in a food processor for about 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor and continue to process for another minute until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Here are some photographs of what I got up to over the Halloween weekend:
- Carving pumpkins with UBU Green Thursdays.
My pumpkin at the beginning.
The unscooped insides (including seeds) of my pumpkin.
Scooping the flesh out of the pumpkin was very messy!
My finished carved pumpkin!
- Archery's Halloween session, for which I dressed up as Jafar from Aladdin (there was a long black skirt)!
- Singing with BUSOM at the university's Red Ribbon Society's open mic night. This was my costume for being a magic broom from the Sorcerer's Apprentice in Fantasia.