Friday 29 May 2015

Tomato & Basil Fusilli


Last week, being the last week of the uni year, ended up being quite busy.  From the Student Leaders Awards and a friend's final year project screening on Wednesday evening to the BUSOM social to Nando's and the bowling alley on Thursday evening, to Party on the Amp throughout Friday, the only day that I managed to come home in time for tea last week was Monday (Tuesday was the BUSOM inventory).  Party on the Amp ended up being quite good.  As a non-drinker (personal choice as I don't really like the taste of the alcoholic drinks that I have tried, but as long as others are responsible, I don't mind them drinking around me) and someone who isn't always comfortable in large and noisy crowds, I'd expected to be overwhelmed by such an event.  The fact that I was quite busy during the day with helping with media coverage of the event could have been to contribute, but other than feeling a bit tired and like I'd talked far too much (because I had talked far too much), I didn't feel all that overwhelmed by having a few friends who had drunk too much.  Additionally, on my slightly longer breaks, I went to sit with a good friend who I don't think had drunk that much, so I felt comfortable and fairly safe.  I also interviewed most of the bands playing, including previous Coffee House Session acts Lew Rey and Samantha Durnan, as well as The Voice winner of 2014 Jermain Jackman and X Factor contestant Concept (who I have a picture with here).  Back to the food though ... Something I've noticed is that I don't post recipes for main meals often, so here's one I found while looking in a cupboard in the kitchen for some more marmalade (Paddington and marmalade toast fan here) when I stumbled across a carton of Napolina Tomato Passata with a recipe on the side.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 finely chopped onions
1 crushed garlic clove
500g tomato passata
1 tablespoon tomato puree
handful of basil leaves
375g fusilli pasta
100ml dry white wine

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic then saute until soft.
  2. Add the passata, tomato puree and wine and simmer until the mixture is thick and reduced.
  3. Add most of the basil leaves and seasoning to the sauce.
  4. Drain the cooked fusilli and serve into a dish.  Top with the tomato and basil sauce and serve adding the remaining basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment