It's been quite warm and sunny here in the UK over this Easter week, so it's time for a little summer post. If your first choice is ice cream, you're in luck! This lemon ice cream from The IceCreamists is refreshing, sweet, zingy and dairy-free, so it's suitable for vegans or anyone with lactose intolerance or dairy allergy!
Ingredients200ml (7fl oz) water
200g (7oz) caster sugar
150ml (5fl oz) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons
1 heaped tsp grated lemon zest, plus extra to decorate
- Pour the water into a saucepan and add the sugar. Place over a low heat and bring to the boil, whisking often, until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, continuing to whisk until the liquid turns into a syrup.
- Pour the syrup into a heatproof bowl and set aside for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature. For more rapid chilling, half-fill a sink with cold water and ice and place the bowl of mixture in it for 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the syrup and mix with a stick blender. Cover and refrigerate, ideally overnight, until thoroughly chilled (at least 4 degrees Celsius).
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the churning is completed, use a spoon or spatula to scrape the sorbetto into a freezer-proof container with a lid. Freeze until it reaches the correct scooping texture (at least 2-3 hours).
- Decorate each portion with a pinch of lemon zest before serving.